This is an introductory tour to the island of Sal including Shark Bay.
This tour is suitable for all ages and is ideal for families, couples and groups wishing to experience the island of Sal with local professional tour guides.
Price: €120 for a private tour (up to 8 people)
Duration: 4 hours
- Hotel collection and drop off
- Small groups no bigger than 8 people
- 4×4 with an experienced licensed driver
- Experienced English speaking local tour guide
- Public liability insurance
As an example our tours may include the following island highlights. If you have something specific that you would like included please let Gus know in advance, so he can do his best to accommodate you.
- Santa Maria – experience the tourist capital of Sal with it’s stunning sandy beach and turquoise waters. Santa Maria still has an African – Creole atmosphere with its traditional local fish market on the pier everyday and local handcrafted gifts for sale
- Kite Beach – is a bay located on the east coast of Sal, just 5 minutes drive from Santa Maria. Sal is known to be one of the best kite surfing locations in the world and hosts several championships throughout the year. As we drive up you will spot dozens of colourful kites in the skyline
- Salt Ponds – we will visit the salt evaporation ponds, where you will get to see the salt farmed traditionally by hand
- Palmeira Fishing Village – Sal’s main fishing port and the transit point of most of the goods arriving on the island by boat. This picturesque village has managed to stay authentic with colourful house fronts which have an almost Caribbean feel and local shops selling the famous “Cape Verdean Grogue”
- *Buracona (the blue eye) – Find the illuminated gap in the rocks and peer in, when the sun’s rays hit the water, the cave lights up and looks like a gigantic blue eye. You can also swim in the natural lava pool next to the ‘Blue Eye’, from which you have a clear view of the 263m-high Monte Leste – €3
- The Mirage & shanty town – Terra Boa mirage appears as a lake in the desert landscape, you will have an opportunity to visit the Terra Boa shop and bar where you can buy authentic local products. We will drive through shanty town, if you have some gifts for the locals we can stop so you can personally give them out (please see page Help Sal)
- *Shark Bay – “No stress” is the mantra of Cape Verde but you will feel exhilarated by sharing the water with the lemon sharks. You can wade out to see these stunning adult lemon sharks, each growing to a gigantic eight feet in length. It’s perfectly safe, your guides will confirm that lemon sharks only eat fish and are not interested in humans! – €2 to hire sea shoes or bring your own
* items marked with an asterisk are chargeable locally and not included in the tour price
Things to bring
- Swimwear, towel and sunhat (also wear dark clothes, we do go off road!)
- Suntan lotion
- Plenty of bottled water
- Money for entrance fees, lunch and souvenirs
- Donations for shanty town – Help Sal
- If your guide decides on the day that you can’t swim in the ocean, no matter how strong a swimmer please respect their decision. Your safety is of the upmost importance to us.
- A lot of the tour will involve off road driving over bumpy terrain, please inform us prior to your tour if you have a medical condition which you think may hamper your enjoyment of the tour
- Please be aware we are not able to take card payments, please pay your tour guide in Euros
- If you would like to make a group booking please contact Gus for a price
“I cannot recommend this trip enough, Gus and his Team were very organised and made sure we had the best day. The Team really looked after us all day, we even had a photographer to capture our precious moments what a hard working fun people, it was a pleasure to meet you all. It is so lovely to also see Gus and his Team looking after locals, the community spirit is unbelievable. I will never forget this Tour and we cannot wait to come back and do it again soon!!!”