Our special cultural tour of Santa Maria will take you to all of the must see places. We have so many talented local crafts men and women living in Sal! We will collect you from your hotel at 10am, during the tour your guide will give you information on the local culture and history of Santa Maria, Sal and the other islands that make up Cape Verde.
We will start by experiencing the daily fish market you will watch the local fisherman bring in their catch, see how the fish are prepared and then sold. This is a great opportunity to take some amazing photos and to capture the real essence of the day to day life of the local fishermen.
We will then take a walk around the streets of Santa Maria, a little more off the beaten track than most tourists go visiting local artists in their studios/home along the way. You will have plenty of opportunity to talk about their work and experience a real feel for Cape Verdean life and the creative culture Sal is known for. During this time you may wish to purchase some of the artworks or try your hand at some of the crafts.
The crafts may include things like traditional Jewellery making, Embroidery, Crochet, Painting, Drawings, Stone Wear and other traditional crafts. We will stop at a local restaurant, where the traditional Cape Verdean dish of Cachupa will be served. We will finish with a little walk back to the most beautiful beach on the whole of the Cape Verde islands where you can have a relaxing afternoon.
Price: €35 per person
Duration: 10am – 2pm
- Hotel pick up (please note return is not included) taxis’ are readily available in Santa Maria for €3 to most hotels and €12 to Esparagos
- Small groups no bigger than 8 people
- Experienced local specialist guide
- Public liability
- Lunch – Cachupa and one drink
Things to bring
- Bottled water
- Comfortable footwear (this tour involves some walking)
- Money for refreshments and local crafts
- Please be aware we are not able to take card payments, please pay your tour guide in Euro’s